Aug 06, 2015
Episode 60: Conversation with a First-Year College Minister
In this episode, first-year college minister Rudy Hartmann reflects on his experiences over the first 12 months leading a college ministry. He shares the most significant lessons learned, things he’d do differently, and what comes next. This episode will be an encouragement to anyone in college ministry, whether it’s your first year or your fortieth.
Rudy Hartmann // Pastoral Resident, First Baptist Church Temple Terrace, Tampa FL // email@example.com @HartmannRudy
- College students are not just important to the future of the church, but to the present of the church.
- Working “on” your ministry, often means giving ministry away.
- As a leader, rest is not an option. You must rest in order to bring energy to the rest of your ministry.
- The Expectation Principle: Most of life’s frustrations come from unmet expectations due to poor communication.
- Prayer is not just preparation for the work, prayer is the work.
- Things to do differently: Assume less. Partner more. React less. Rest more. Recruit more adult leaders.
- If you don’t have people who are over and ahead of you in ministry, you are limiting your own capacity to develop further as a leader.
- “Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle or end.”
Connect with us:
Facebook: Collegiate Collective
Tagsleadership, Local Church, partnership, Podcast, rest, staff
about the author
Rudy Hartmann is a church planting candidate with the Salt Company in Ames, IA. He previously served in college ministry in Tampa, FL.
about the author
Designer. Dreamer. Programmer. Designer.
- Important News from Collegiate Collective
- The Fuel and the Flame at 15 – Time for an update!
- Whole Students for the Whole Mission of God
- Reach Internationals While the Window is Open
- Do Not Fret the End of the Semester
- Gaining Cultural Intelligence
- How Church Planting Changed Everything About Our College Ministry
- Back to campus
- best idea ever
- bible study
- campus administration
- church planting
- community college
- commuter students
- Daniel Im
- equipping students
- grad students
- International Students
- leadership development
- Local Church
- mental health
- multigenerational church
- Para Church
- peyton jones
- russell moore
- small groups
- social media
- student leaders
- summer project
- time management
- tyler reagin
- virtual assistant
- worship service